Another week has passed in Akashi, and yes, it shall be my last. That's
right, I am transferring this Thursday to an area called Hanayashiki. I'm sure
many of you may be curious as to why I am transferring. Well, as a missionary,
we are sent where ever the Lord has need of us. I was needed in Akashi, but now
I'm needed in Hanayashiki. I guess there are people there I'm supposed to find
and lessons that I can learn only by going to this new place. Hanayashiki hasn't
had Sisters there before...meaning that there have been no female missionaries
in the area for awhile, maybe ever. So, that will be exciting! It also means
that my companion and I will have a lot of shopping to do this next week,
because our apartment will be new...and most likely very empty.
| My last week with W-Shimai |
I've talked about sacred places before with a missionary friend of mine. We
all have them. Places that for some reason or another, have become very special
to us. Sometimes they are not exactly where you might expect. For example,
another one of my sacred places is a broom closet in the Mission Training Center
in Provo. It was there that I really poured my heart out to God for the first
time. If any of you would be willing, I would love to hear about some of your
sacred places!
This Sunday, two of our investigators came to church! Really, such a
miracle! They are our Family English Program students. I don't know if I have
talked about this program yet, so I will just quickly review (if I have already
explained it, sorry!). But yes, this program is set up so that we teach a family
30 minutes of English (for free, of course), and in exchange for this, the
family listens to 30 minutes of a gospel message in Japanese. A member of our
Ward asked us to do this program with her two nieces, who are about 15 (H-chan)
and 19 (A-chan) years old. These are the very same two investigators who came to
church this week!
We taught them about prayer, and they both willingly accepted the
invitation to pray everyday! We asked them to say prayers in the lesson, and
what a sweet and tender moment that was! These two young women praying to God
for the first time. A-chan was a bit embarrassed and asked if it was okay if her
prayer was short. We told her that of course that was okay, and so her prayer
was only about 3 seconds long. But just think how wonderful those three seconds
must have been to God. It's like being away from your child for a really long
time, and not having any contact from them. And then, you hear their voice,
talking to you. Even if it's only for three seconds, don't you think that those
three seconds would be infinitely valuable? That's the way I imagine it,
anyways.
| Sister Weigl is getting good at eating with chop sticks! |
So, this week has really taught me something about myself. It has taught me
that I am fearful. I am doubtful. I am prideful. But, you know what? That's
okay. It's okay to be afraid. It's okay to have doubts. It's normal to want to
think about yourself more than others. Now, if we dwell in these feelings and
these thoughts, that's when they become an issue. If I let myself drown in a sea
of doubt, reside in a dark abyss of fear, or set myself upon a rich throne of
pride, then that's when these traits become destructive.
But, we are all human. I am going to have fear and doubt. It's part of the
human existence. What I, and what we must all know, is that Christ is the way we
can overcome these things. And overcome them we MUST. We must continually be
striving to become better. To let go of fear, doubt, and pride. As long as we
are trying, then Christ will make up the rest. That is the essence of His
atonement and His purpose here on earth.
He is willing to make up the difference. But are we willing to let Him? I hope that I can become humble enough, faithful enough, and believing
enough to truly let Him make up that difference. To let Him into my life,
instead of blocking Him out. I hope that you all can, too.
Let us be willing to let Him help us. He wants to so very desperately. Of this I testify,
Sister Weigl
| Missionaries Serving in Akashi |
No comments:
Post a Comment