Monday, September 2, 2013

The Land of the Rising Sun

Minnasan, Konnichiwa!

Can it be? Is it true? Is Sister Weigl really in Japan? Oh yes. Yes she is. LOOK OUT JAPAN!

So, as I predicted, the ride over to Japan was long. Really long. But I was able to sleep a whole bunch, so that was good. The time difference didn't throw me off too badly, except for the first day I was in Japan. Due to the time change, I hadn't really slept in over 24 hours! Crazy, huh? We had a lot of important information given to us the the night we arrived, such as filling out National Japanese forms, some important Japanese laws, and the like. I was so tired that I had to pretty much prop my eyes open with my fingers to keep myself awake. The very second my head hit the pillow that night, I was out. I don't even think my companion bothered to change out of her dress, she was so exhausted.

Entrance to the Kobe Mission Office
behind the Kobe Chapel
At the airport, we were picked up by our Mission President and his wife, Brother and Sister Zinke. Fun fact: the moment I stepped off the plane, I felt the humidity wrap it's arms around me like a blanket. Would you believe me if I said that I missed it? Anyways, the Mission President and his wife are basically like our parents here in Japan. They check up on us and watch over us and give us direction and guidance as to what we should do to be productive missionaries. So yes, in short, they are AWESOME! There were 33 of us missionaries in my group, and we all stayed at Mission President's home for a bit of training and what not before we were sent out to our areas. Poor Sister Zinke had to cook for so many people, but she handled it like a pro. She's awesome.

Front of the Kobe church. The mission offices
and apartments are directly behind the church.
There is a church right next to the Mission Home, and that was where we eventually met our new companions and trainers! And what would you know, I got a native Japanese Sister! She's from Sendai and she is the sweetest thing to walk the planet earth. The best part of all is that she speaks English! Yokatta! (Thank goodness!) She helps me with Japanese, and I help her improve her English. Kanpeki da neeee (It's perfect). But really, she is such a fun and great person!

First thing's first. It is hot here. HOOOOOOOOT. I sweat like a pig. I'm not even kidding. It's kind of crazy. I didn't even know I could sweat this much. But apparently I can. But you know what? WHO CARES! I am serving God and working hard, and He doesn't care if I look gross and nasty and overall like some kind of baked good. Honestly, it's hot and I love it :)

Okay, here's an aside about biking in a skirt. You ever try it? No? Well, it's not easy. Not easy at all! The first day my Trainer and I went biking to Church, I was a disaster! The skirt I wore was particularly billowy and it was pretty windy outside. I was weaving back and forth, basically all over the place, trying to not crash and still hold down my skirt, HAHAHA. Funny image right? It might not be the ideal, and it might be hard, but you know what? WHO CARES? That's sort of a motto I say in my head whenever I find myself starting to complain. WHO CARES what I think?WHO CARES if it's hard? None of that matters. What matters is that I am here in JAPAN serving my Lord and my God. That's what matters, not how hard it is to ride my bike, or how much I sweat. It's really an eye-opening experience. I realize now that I have spent sooooo much of my time focused on myself, when I should have been more receptive and open to the big picture...to other people.

Okay, so on Sunday we went to church. And that means there was a LOT of Japanese. And by A LOT, I mean entirely, fully, as in, no English whatsoever. There is one member of the Ward who studied English in College, so his English is perfect, but everybody else....nothing. I understood about one percent of what was said. But it's okay! I know that I will one day understand! I understood the important words, like Jesus Christ and God. So I feel like that is a good start. Fun story...NOBODY can pronounce my name here. Nobody. If they're having a really hard time with my name, I just tell them to call me Sister "Wei" (pronounced "Why"). Hahahaha.

I love the Japanese culture! I love everything about Akashi (The area I am currently serving). The ward is so strong, and the culture is fantastic. I went to this place called the 100 Yen Store today to buy hangers...it's basically like a dollar store...but this place has EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. IT'S LIKE MAGIC!

Anyways, sorry, I wish I had more time to write. But today has been so crazy....we've had to run and buy groceries, a purse for me to put all my stuff in, hangers, exchange money, and so on. I will leave you with my testimony that God is real! I see his hand in my life EVERY DAY! And you can too, if you look!

In summary, MISSIONS ARE AWESOME! Something that's really helped me is this phrase, "I am not me." It sounds really weird, so let me explain. I don't have a lot of courage to do stuff - such as talking to random people on the street. That's something I've always struggled with. However, on a mission, I'm not representing me. I'm representing the Lord. The things that I usually wouldn't do because that's just not "me"...well, that doesn't matter! I'm not me! I'm t he Lord's! I am His representative! I am His servant!

Remember, Faith not Fear.
Fear will drag you down.
Faith will lift you up.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be up in the clouds instead of in a bottom of a ditch. That's what it's like if you let fear rule your life - you are stuck in a bottomless pit that you can't ever seem to climb out of, because you are too scared to try.  Too scared of what might happen if you make it out...what might be there waiting for you. Sounds silly, right? Well it is! Let Christ guide and lead you, and if you do, the whole world will open up to you!

Aishte masu! (I love you!)
Sister Weigl

No comments:

Post a Comment