Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Faith Not Fear

Sup guys :)

MTC- Provo, Utah
Well, it would appear that my stay here at the Missionary Training Center has come to an end. Wow, how the time flies. It feels like only a few days ago I was frantically packing my bags and saying my goodbyes to my friends and family. And would you know it, now I am going to Japan. Yes, world, I AM FINALLY GOING TO JAPAN! After almost two months of missionary training here in Provo, I am finally being shipped off to Kobe. Don't get me wrong, I have loved every minute I've had here, but I am excited to fly off to Japan and further the work of the Lord in that wonderful country. It's amazing how much I've come to love this people and culture, and I haven't even really even spent much time there yet!


Anyways, I am going to be flying out on Tuesday, the 27th of August. I fly to Seattle for a layover, then it is 12 straight hours of flying to the Osaka Japan Airport. Oh boy. I guess that gives me a lot of time to cram in some last-minute Japanese study!

Quick side note: As to my address and stuff, my mom will post my new address and change it whenever I am moved to a new area. Sending a letter to Japan is no doubt expensive, so emails will be perfectly fine! (Actually, all mail goes to the mission office, and they forward the mail to the missionaries.)

Waiting for my  Laundry
MTC Provo
OH! I almost forgot! I got my Japanese name badge this week! So, now my name is completely in Japanese, no English! It's interesting to see how they spell my name: ウェイゲル (wei-ge-ru). This may sound kind of uninteresting, perhaps. But to us, we nearly all fell over each other trying to see them! It makes this whole "leaving" thing seem so much more real. That, along with the fact that I have to start packing, which will hopefully not be too stressful!

Something fun that I did this week that was a little bit of change in routine is that I "Hosted." This most likely sounds like a really foreign word and means nothing to you, so let me explain. "Hosting" happens on Wednesday, which is the day all the new missionaries arrive at the MTC. As a Host, we help these inexperienced newbies say goodbye to their parents, get their name tags, and carry their luggage to their Residence Halls. Basically, we are sort of like mini-tour guides helping them to know where they should go and what they should do. Being able to be with and talk to the new missionaries helped me to remember how I felt when I first got here - excited but nervous. I saw it in their eyes as they got their name badges, as they took upon them the names of Jesus Christ's missionaries. They were excited. They were scared. But none of them seemed to regret the choice they had made. I echo those feelings. I don't regret this choice. I rejoice in it. I can't imagine what my life would be like without this mission. I've only been serving for about two months, but the change it has brought into my heart is amazing. It will change the rest of my life, and the direction I will be headed towards in the future.

Another thing that was a bit different is that I got my haircut! The ends were all nasty and dead, so I cut an inch or so off. It looks pretty much the same; you couldn't even tell that it's shorter. BUT is feels so much nicer! Plus, it has that haircut smell/feel. I'm sure most of you girls understand what I'm talking about. Another Sister in my district was much braver than I. She cut SO much of her hair off. It looks so great though, so her leap of faith in the MTC barbershop paid off.

This week, I have been really studying the story of Jesus walking on the water in Matthew Chapter 14. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite stories from the scriptures. The story tells of the disciples who are caught in a storm, and I can't help but think that this is very similar to our experience here on this earth. We are in the midst of a raging sea, in the midst of a world full of turmoil and strife. The waves of sin crash against our boat and toss us from side to side, threatening to top size us. We struggle to remain afloat, to not be dragged under by the temptations of this world.  We fight against the wind that blows us contrary to what we know to be right. We fight with all our might - adjusting the sails, trying to hold the course of our ship - and it is a struggle that sometimes seems will never end.

However, in the Forth Watch (around 3:00 or 6:00 in the morning), Jesus came walking on the stormy waters towards his disciples (verse 25). The Forth Watch is the last watch of the day. Why is that significant? Well, it shows us that it is only after our long struggle, only after we have learned and have grown, and are maybe unable to hold on much longer by ourselves, it is only then that we will be able to humble ourselves enough we will turn to Christ. It is only when we are most exhausted and most susceptible to change will we be able to see Christ through the turrets of rain. Does that mean He wasn't there the whole time? No, it means that we were too busy struggling with our sails or oars or whatever to see Him. At least, that is how I have found it to be in my own life. And might I add, is Christ struggling with these waves of temptation? No! He walks upon them unaffected, untempted. I sort of visualize the winds and the rain bending to go around Him. He is more powerful than the wind, than the rain, than the sea, but most of all, He is more powerful than Satan's influences, and with His help, we can be too.

Okay, so the Disciples see Christ walking on the water. They most likely are freaking out. In verse 26, Matthew describes their reaction as "they cried out in fear" as Jesus approached them. But, notice that STRAIGHTWAY Jesus called out to His disciples in their moments of doubt and fear. He STRAIGHTWAY called, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid" (verse 27). Imagine, you are dripping wet. You have been tossed and churned by the violent waves of the sea all through the night. You are exhausted. You are soaked to the very core of your soul, with both water and with discouragement. You have no more strength, and you do not think you can carry through the storm a moment longer. It is in that very moment of despair, that very moment when you are about to submit to your fear, when you see a figure out among the deathly waves. He raises a hand to you, and offers words of comfort as He walks towards you. You are amazed, you are shocked, but most of all, I imagine that you are comforted, for you know that you are not in this storm alone. For if this man, this man who is strong enough to walk on water is with you, how could you ever go wrong?

Think about that. Jesus went to His disciples. He did not watch on as they struggled, but instead He went to them, braving the storm Himself so that He could be with them in the storm. So that He could comfort them, guide them. That is how it is with us. Jesus is here, He is in the middle of our storms. His hand is outstretched to us, bidding us to come unto Him. But sometimes, we might not see Him because we are too focused on the storm or the waves. Might I challenge us all to put aside the fear that might be blinding our eyes and chocking our souls. For when we choose to have faith instead of fear, we will be able to see Christ, and hear His voice over the thundering. Hear the words, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid."

I would challenge you all to look past the storms, the winds, the clouds, and waves - the distractions of life. Look past your fear, and find your faith. Find Christ.

From your friend (who will shortly be in Japan),
Sister Weigl

The Sisters in my Room at the MTC

No comments:

Post a Comment