Dear One and All, and Whomever Else Might Be Reading This,
Yet another week has gone by in Akashi! Who would've believed it to be true? The weather has cooled down quite a bit (it's been really rainy), but I can't say that I mind. I bought this really great rainsuit this past Preparation Day that is from head to toe bright blue. Just you wait, you will see an identical version of it on the Italian Runways in this upcoming Fall Collection...haha maybe not. But it definitely keeps the rain out, and that's all I really care about. Missions aren't about fashion statements, anyways.
We haven't had many teaching appointments this week (all the people we are teaching are currently too busy to meet with us). So, because of this, my companion and I have been focusing a lot on finding new people to teach this week. This means we've been doing quite a bit of street contacting - which is exactly what it sounds like - trying to contact and talk to people on the street about our message.
At first, talking to random people on the street really scared me. It still scares me, to some extent. In my brain, I knew I wasn't supposed to be frightened, and that there really was no reason to be. They are just people. People just like me. What's the harm in just talking to them, ESPECIALLY when what we have to say is so vitally important? But somehow, that mindset was having a bit of a hard time transferring to my actions. I couldn't quite get that thought-process to carry over to my mouth. When my Companion suggested I talk to someone, I froze up! I didn't know what to say, especially not in Japanese!
However, something happened in the middle of the week that completely changed my attitude. Another Sister companionship came and stayed in our apartment for a day due to some unusual circumstance, and I was able to talk with one of the sisters. She was just so amazing! She told me that contacting people and talking with them was her most favorite part about her mission! She said that if it's not fun, then you aren't doing it right.
With these thoughts in mind, I began to also ponder about Jesus Christ's example. He is the prime, most perfect missionary, after all. He was never afraid to talk to people. He always invited people to repent and be baptized. He was never hesitant. And if we are supposed to follow Christ's example in all things, then I needed to follow His missionary example as well. So, I took a deep breath, and I just went out and let the Holy Ghost guide me. I prayed that I would be able to put my fear away in a drawer and lock it up tight. After all - faith not fear, as my favorite saying goes.
The results were immediate. When I focused on the love of the Savior and the love He has for each of the individuals I was trying to talk to, it wasn't nearly so hard to open my mouth and speak.
I read Doctrine and Covenants 35:13 as part of my Personal Study this week. It reads:
"Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit."
THRASH. Now, that is a really powerful, bold word. I definitely couldn't thrash anyone by myself. I don't have the power to do anything alone. I can't change anyone's heart. I am "a weak thing," after all. I'm only nineteen years old! But, through the power of the Holy Ghost, I know that I can be a tool in the Lord's hands. I can slowly become more of a Christ like missionary.
Now, I know that I am not perfect, but by praying to the Lord in faith, asking for confidence to testify of the truthfulness of this message to all whom I come in contact with, I know I can become the kind of missionary that the Lord envisions me of becoming. I testify that through Christ, and faith on His name, we can all catch a glimpse of who God knows we truly are. Our true self; the person we are cable of and will become if we rely on the Lord, is within our grasp. We can change. We can become like Christ, IF we trust in Him and follow His example.
Sister Weigl
No comments:
Post a Comment