Minnasan,
Wow, I feel like it's been forever since I wrote one of
these emails. Sorry about that. This last transfer has been like wildfire.
Always busy, busy, busy.
I once heard a returning missionary describe serving a
mission in this way: It's like walking though a field of roses.
At first, I didn't really understand what she meant. But
now I do a bit more, I think.
So, you see this beautiful field of roses, and you want to
take a walk through it. And at first, the experience is so wonderful. The
flowers smell great and the color of the roses are just so breath-taking. But
then, the rose thorns start to tear at your clothes and your legs and you start
to bleed. It hurts, and it's painful. But oh, how it is worth it. The beauty of
the roses is worth the pain.
Church leader Boyd K. Packer has said this: "It was meant to be that life would be a challenge. To suffer some anxiety...some disappointment, even some failure is normal. ...if [we] have a good, miserable day once in a while, or several in a row, [we need to] stand steady and face them. Things will straighten out. There is great purpose in our struggle in life. The principle of self-reliance or personal independence is fundamental to the happy life."
Church leader Boyd K. Packer has said this: "It was meant to be that life would be a challenge. To suffer some anxiety...some disappointment, even some failure is normal. ...if [we] have a good, miserable day once in a while, or several in a row, [we need to] stand steady and face them. Things will straighten out. There is great purpose in our struggle in life. The principle of self-reliance or personal independence is fundamental to the happy life."
Walking through our own field of
roses will not be easy. It will be difficult. The thorns will scratch. We will
hurt, and we will probably shed some tears, but oh, how it is worth it. In the
scriptures it reads, "For after much tribulation comes the blessings. Wherefore,
the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory, the hour is not yet but
is nigh at hand" (Doctrine and Covenants 58:4).
I know that every blessing that
comes to us in this life, and every blessing that we will carry into the
eternities, is a result of the birth, life, and divine mission of our Savior,
Jesus Christ. He is the source of our every happiness, our every peace, and our
every comfort. And if it seems like there is no relief right now, just hold on.
He is there alongside us in that beautiful, yet painful, rose field. He is there
to help us and guide us. He will give us the strength we need, if we but
ask.
I've seen this in my own
missionary experience. When I've been lost, alone, frustrated, and those thorns
are just too much to bear...well, those are the times that Jesus Christ has been
the closest. He is there to say, "It's okay. Keep going. I'm here. Don't be
afraid." All we have to do is believe in His words.
As long as we keep moving
forward, everything will be alright. That's a big lesson I've learned here in
the land of the rising sun. Just believe in Jesus Christ and keep going. That's
my message for each one of you today. Just believe in Jesus Christ, and KEEP
GOING. It's easy to want to give up. It's natural. That's what Satan tells each
one of us. I've had my share of discouragement, just like anybody else. I've had
my share of doors slammed in my face, and I can't describe to you what it feels
like when someone chooses to no follow the Savior's example. When people tell
you they are not interested in eternal life...eternal happiness with their
families. But none of that matters. Not as long as we just keep believing in
Jesus Christ and keep going. We can't control the actions of others, but we can
control our own attitudes and our own choices.
So, get up. Turn on the light.
Let go of your fear and move forward. It's time to stop looming in the darkness
of Satan's grasp. Jesus is with you.
As you walk through your own
field of roses, keep your eyes on the savior and focus on the beautiful roses
all around. Don't pay any mind to the thorns. I promise everything will work
out, because of the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Sister
Weigl
No comments:
Post a Comment