Monday, May 19, 2014

That Ye May Have Eternal Life

Dear Minnasan,

Hmmm, what to say about this week? I don't even know. It's definitely been interesting, but I don't think that is the best way to describe it. I guess my English is getting bad, because I can't think of the right adjective...I notice sometimes that I can't write in proper English anymore either. For example, the other day, I wrote "Let's baptized some people." Yeah. English is a hard language, okay?

Speaking of English, today when we were out shopping for our groceries and such other needed necessities, a lady sort of started to follow us around. We thought maybe she was just trying to look at the food or something, but we were in her way. But it would turn out that she wanted to talk to us because we were American. She was very timid and shy about it. She said, "Excuse me, but where are you from?" Then she started to speak with us in English. We gave her a flyer and invited her to the Free English Class that we teach every week. We went on with our grocery shopping, and about ten minutes later, the same lady approached us again, asking us about more specific information for the English Class. She was a super sweet lady.

This week was a bit rougher where our investigators are concerned though. It's coming down to the wire for our two investigators with a baptismal date, and they haven't come to church for a while, and they haven't received all the lessons needed before they can be baptized. The rough part, though, is that neither of them seem to want Eternal Life. One of them, a woman in her fifties who is extremely fluent in English, said that she's okay with there being life after death, and she is also okay if there isn't. Another investigator even said she wishes that this life was the end. As I have thought about this, I remembered about something our Mission President said to us the last time he interviewed us. He asked us how much do we, as believers and disciples of Christ, even know about Eternal Life? He asked us to list ten things, and we couldn't. So, as I pondered upon this, I realized that if I am not even really able to envision Eternal Life beyond the idea of it being amazing, then how would our investigators ever be able to do that either? I guess this week I have just spent a lot of time pondering what Eternal Life means because of this, and it has really opened a new door of understanding for me.


Eternal Life is living with God, like God. Now, let's think about that for a moment. Not only will we be able to live with God in Heaven, but we will be able to live LIKE God. What is God like? He has all knowledge. He knows EVERYTHING. He knows all languages. He knows really hard math. He knows me perfectly, and He knows you perfectly. He knows everyone by name.

He has all power. He created the ENTIRE EARTH. Every single thing on it. And not only our planet, but all of the planets. All of the stars. All of the Galaxies. He said, "Let there be light!" And there was. Can I do that? No. Can you? No. That is sure a lot of power.

He has a perfect body. He feels no stress. He feels no hate, no depression. He has perfect eyesight, and no physical or emotional illnesses. He never gets headaches. He has perfect health.

And He is everlasting (that's where the Eternal part comes from in Eternal Life). He lives in this state of perfect happiness, FOREVER. And what's more, we can become LIKE HIM. We can have all that is His.

That is the Blessing of Eternal Life.

And He offers it to all of us. That's pretty amazing, huh? God truly does love us.

Sister Weigl

FIVE QUESTIONS:

1. What is something you have noticed about Kitarokko that is different than the other area’s you have served in?
The hills are crazy, but also, it's full of rice fields. Like, I am really out in the boonies here. Last week was like, planting season or something, so everybody was out burning their fields. I'm not sure why, but they were, so we smelled like smoke everyday when we came home.

2. What do you like best about Kitarokko?
The Ward (church) is pretty awesome, but I think I like the scenery the best. It's so beautiful here! The mountains are rolling and covered in the most beautiful green trees that you would ever see! Sort of like Virginia.

3. What is a fun historical fact about Kitarokko?  Or something that impresses you?
Um...I don't really know too much about history, but it impresses me how clean this place is. But I guess that's just Japan for you.

4. Something unexpected that happened to you this week?
Uh...we got sunburned.

5. What is the most interesting/different food you ate this week?
We ate taco rice at a member's house yesterday! Yeah! It's basically like Taco salad, expect more Japanese-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment