Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Race

Good Evening, Everyone!

I've been thinking about running a lot recently. My companion and I sometimes wake up early and go running, which is always great. Our apartment is right next to this beautiful river that has a trail running right along side it. Running along it as the morning sun touches the rushing waters is just wonderful - and it gives me the opportunity to think and ponder about...well, life in general.

This morning as I was running alongside this river, I remembered a poem that a Sister in my District shared with me not too long ago. It is called, "The Race," by Dr. D.H. "Dee" Groberg. In essence, the story of the poem goes like this: A little boy is running a race. He sees in his mind the glory of winning, and he is sure he can win the gold metal for his dad, who is watching out in the crowd. He is so excited to make his dad proud....but he trips and falls flat on his face. "It's okay, I can still win!" he thinks, so he gets back up again and keeps running. But once again, he falls down. In fact, this little boy falls down not once, not twice, but THREE times, all in the same race! You would think he would give up at that point, right? Nope. He keeps getting back up and eventually, he makes it over the finish line. He was in dead last.

The poet explains,
“And even though he came in last with head bowed low, unproud,
you would have thought he'd won the race, to listen to the crowd.
And to his dad, he sadly said, 'I didn't do so well.'
'To me, you won,' his father said. 'You rose each time you fell.
And now when things seem dark and bleak and difficult to face,
 the memory of that little boy helps me in my own race.
 For all of life is like that race, with ups and downs and all.
And all you have to do to win is rise each time you fall.”

I think we all get a bit too concerned with the so called "success" of our own races. Are we in first? Are we winning? We compare ourselves to the progress of those around us, and by that measure, we determine whether or not we are "winning" the race of our own lives. However, does winning the gold, coming in first, really matter as much as we all might think?

God is not so much concerned with us winning the gold. No. I believe that God is like that dad in the poem. He is so proud of us when we get up and dust ourselves off. When we keep going, despite how hard it is, or how many times we've fallen. To Him, the most important thing is that we keep running.

 I get too focused on the number of times I have "fallen" in my own race. I get caught up in how far behind I am compared to the rest of the pack. I let those things dig at my soul and weigh me down, and at those times I feel like giving up. I sometimes want to just lay down and accept my defeat. I think, as the little boy in that poem did, "I'm hopeless as a runner now, I shouldn't try to race." Haven't we all felt that way, before?

And that is EXACTLY what Satan wants, right!

We should NEVER let those thoughts keep us from getting up and winning that race! President Monson said, "Although the race of life can be challenging, we do not run alone. Family, friends, and leaders will cheer our courage, will applaud our determination as we rise from our stumblings and pursue our goal. ... Let us shed any thought of failure. ... Let us seek; let us obtain the prize prepared for us."

So, let us all remember this little boy. Let us remember how proud God is of each one  of us. Let us rise each time we fall. As the poet wrote, "And when depression and despair shout loudly in my face, another voice within me says, 'Get up and win that race!' "

Sister Weigl

FIVE QUESTIONS:

1. What is one thing your companion did this week that made you laugh?
Her shoe accidentally fell off when we were walking down the church stairs, and it fell in between the cracks of the stairs, onto this tool shed. So I had to climb up on this shed to get it back for her...hahaha

2. What is one thing you did that made your companion laugh?
Take a picture of her when she was using her mirror (she is ALWAYS checking herself in this little mirror she carries around with her).

3. What advice would you give a future missionary about being stressed about tracking?
RELY ON THE LORD. HE HAS ALL POWER. HE HAS ALL KNOWLEDGE. Why should you fear those people, when the Lord God Almighty literally has "got your back?"

4. What is your favorite Japanese food?
ALL OF IT. But I really like this thing called Inarizushi. (Note: It is named for the Shinto god InariInarizushi is also known as "brown bag sushi" because the rice is packed in seasoned aburaage, or fried tofu pouches. Because the aburaage keeps the rice held together so well, and it's usually made with just rice inside,  Inarizushi is easy to eat, even when using your hands.)

5. What do you like most about your current apartment besides the fact that it is new?
It has BEDS. I don't have to sleep on the floor anymore!


Inarizushi



No comments:

Post a Comment