Merry Christmas! The fact that Christmas is in two days really just makes
my mind toss and turn in confusion. I honestly don't know where this transfer
has gone. I feel like just yesterday I was in Akashi, and now, well, it's
Christmas! It's an amazing feeling, though, and I am ever so grateful to be here
in Japan serving the Lord during this Christmas season. There is nowhere I would
rather be. There is nothing I would rather be doing. This mission has brought me
the greatest joy and happiness, and I hope that this Christmas, each of you may
find that same joy and peace.
Since it's Christmas, I want to share a message about Christ. I've been
thinking about Him EVEN MORE than usual lately, since it's Christmas and all.
I've really been concentrating on learning more about His life and ministry --
in essence, who is Christ really? What is He like? I know He is the Son of God,
the Savior and Redeemer of the World, but what does that mean to me personally?
As I pondered these questions, I stumbled upon a story in Luke that I've heard
and read many times, but never really fully understood it's meaning. The Parable
of the Prodigal Son.
The story starts out like this: "A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living' " (Luke 15:11-12). This son was so concerned with himself, he demanded his inheritance from his father RIGHT THEN, which was far from customary. He was concerned with nothing and no one but himself, and after he received that for which he yearned for, he left the presence of his father's household. He had gotten that which he wanted, and had no more need for his father. Off he went t o spend his father's money and to satisfy the desires of his heart.
The story starts out like this: "A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living' " (Luke 15:11-12). This son was so concerned with himself, he demanded his inheritance from his father RIGHT THEN, which was far from customary. He was concerned with nothing and no one but himself, and after he received that for which he yearned for, he left the presence of his father's household. He had gotten that which he wanted, and had no more need for his father. Off he went t o spend his father's money and to satisfy the desires of his heart.
Although
we might not like to identify ourselves with this self-centered, self-seeking
son, how many times have we abandoned our own Father, even our Heavenly Father,
for the pursuits of our own hearts, our worldly desires? I will be the first to
admit that I have done this - I have let my pride get in the way of being a true
follower of Christ. I have taken what I have wanted and got caught up in the
rush of everyday life.
But
does this riotous way of living, this rush of everyday life, really hold joy
when we are absent from our Father's presence? Let's go back to the story and
see. The son spent all the money that his father gave him. And he was happy, or
at least he thought he was happy, for a time. But then the money ran out. The
party ended. The lights turned off. And the son was left with nothing but the
memories of what was and an emptiness in his heart. He had spent so much time
and effort seeking after what he thought would bring him happiness, only to
discover that all it brought was emptiness.
Jesus
described this moment of self-inflection and illumination as such: "And [the
son] came to himself..." (Luke 15:17). I just love that sentence. The Son
remembered WHO HE WAS, and that made all of the difference. When he remembered
he was his father's son, it gave him the strength to repent and change his ways;
to humble himself to the dust, and find the courage to return to his
father.
Now,
who are we? We are sons and daughters of the Eternal Heavenly Father. We are
beloved and we have infinite potential. But Satan doesn't want us to remember
that. He wants us to forget, just like the Prodigal Son did, who we are. He
wants us to become wrapped up in the flashing lights and the fast-paced rhythms;
the loud music and the enticements of the thrills that can be found in this and
that. But we all must remember who we are. We must "come to ourselves," in a
sense, and accept our divine natures as sons and daughters of God.
And
now the story continues to my favorite part: " And [the son] arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to be merry" (Luke 15:20-24).
I love the reaction of the father at his son's return; he ran to him, and kissed, and rejoiced at his return. Now, I feel like if I was this father, I would be a little bit more wroth with my son. I would be like, "Where's my money? What do you mean you spent it ALL? I worked hard to earn that money and you wasted it!" But that is not what the father thought at all. He was just overjoyed to see his son return. He rejoiced. He killed the fatted calf, and had a feast in his son's honor. Not once id the father rebuke his son. All he cared about was that his son had changed his heart, repented, and come home.
Friends, this is who God is. This is who Christ is. Both God and Christ love us so VERY, VERY much. They want us to return to be with them more than anything. They don't care so much about what we have done in the past, as much as they care about who we have become. If we are willing to forsake our sins and return to them, they will willingly forgive us of all of our mistakes. Every single one. And they won't do it hesitantly. They will to it without hesitation. This Parable extends to each of us the hope that, "a loving Father in Heaven stands in the roadway, as it were, anxiously awaiting the arrival of each of His prodigal children back home" (Elder Spencer J. Condie).
At this Christmas time, may we all remember Christ's true nature; that of the Father who rejoices in the returning of his son. The Father who must have worried and prayed and watched for the return of his wayward son. The Father who stood watching, and never gave up on his son, even when his son gave up on himself.
May we all look to Christ this Christmas season with a new understanding and a new love. This is my prayer.
Sister Weigl
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-10-055-the-prodigal-son?lang=eng
![]() |
| The Prodicgal Son by Liz Lemon Swindle |
Friends, this is who God is. This is who Christ is. Both God and Christ love us so VERY, VERY much. They want us to return to be with them more than anything. They don't care so much about what we have done in the past, as much as they care about who we have become. If we are willing to forsake our sins and return to them, they will willingly forgive us of all of our mistakes. Every single one. And they won't do it hesitantly. They will to it without hesitation. This Parable extends to each of us the hope that, "a loving Father in Heaven stands in the roadway, as it were, anxiously awaiting the arrival of each of His prodigal children back home" (Elder Spencer J. Condie).
At this Christmas time, may we all remember Christ's true nature; that of the Father who rejoices in the returning of his son. The Father who must have worried and prayed and watched for the return of his wayward son. The Father who stood watching, and never gave up on his son, even when his son gave up on himself.
May we all look to Christ this Christmas season with a new understanding and a new love. This is my prayer.
Sister Weigl
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-10-055-the-prodigal-son?lang=eng
FIVE QUESTIONS:
1. What do you eat most days?
Well, when we are at home, I usually make a salad for myself. I have fallen in love with salads here. They have this salad dressing which I LOVE called Goma dressing. I also eat a lot of cabbage, which I never really ate before my mission, but it's super good.
2. What is your favorite
Japanese dish? What is your least favorite?
I just LOVE all of the Japanese food here. Honestly, it's too hard to pick just one -- Sushi, Ramen, Inarazushi...I think for Christmas next year I'm going to buy a rice cooker. I don't know how I lived without one before. My least favorite dish is Nato. It's basically fermented beans that look and taste like snot. Not very good. But that's the only thing I've ever tried in Japan and not liked.
I just LOVE all of the Japanese food here. Honestly, it's too hard to pick just one -- Sushi, Ramen, Inarazushi...I think for Christmas next year I'm going to buy a rice cooker. I don't know how I lived without one before. My least favorite dish is Nato. It's basically fermented beans that look and taste like snot. Not very good. But that's the only thing I've ever tried in Japan and not liked.
3. Are you eating any place
special for Christmas?
Not that I know of. I think it will just be business as usual. We have a lesson with S-Shimai that day. But the Ward got us LOTS of presents that we are going to open in our apartment that day, so that will be fun. Maybe we will go out to lunch or something. Honestly, I haven't really thought about it. The biggest highlight of the Christmas season here was the Ward Christmas party which they had been planning since June. It was great! There was hula dancers, and I was in the Choir (my companion is a GREAT singer, so I kind of just went along for the ride, but it was lots of fun!). A member even dressed up as Santa Claus! It was a lot of fun :)
Not that I know of. I think it will just be business as usual. We have a lesson with S-Shimai that day. But the Ward got us LOTS of presents that we are going to open in our apartment that day, so that will be fun. Maybe we will go out to lunch or something. Honestly, I haven't really thought about it. The biggest highlight of the Christmas season here was the Ward Christmas party which they had been planning since June. It was great! There was hula dancers, and I was in the Choir (my companion is a GREAT singer, so I kind of just went along for the ride, but it was lots of fun!). A member even dressed up as Santa Claus! It was a lot of fun :)
4. Describe where you buy
your groceries.
It's this massive department store called Seiyu. It has about five or six levels and has everything from clothes to groceries. It makes me think of Wal-Mart (which, surprisingly, they don't have here).
It's this massive department store called Seiyu. It has about five or six levels and has everything from clothes to groceries. It makes me think of Wal-Mart (which, surprisingly, they don't have here).
5. What is in your
refrigerator right now?
We just went grocery shopping, so it's nice and full. We've got lots of apples and clementines, along with cabbage, lettuce, peppers, potatoes, onions...I really am trying to make an effort to eat healthier. I find it's not so much quality that's an issue but QUANTITY. It's a work in progress.
We just went grocery shopping, so it's nice and full. We've got lots of apples and clementines, along with cabbage, lettuce, peppers, potatoes, onions...I really am trying to make an effort to eat healthier. I find it's not so much quality that's an issue but QUANTITY. It's a work in progress.

No comments:
Post a Comment