Monday, October 14, 2013

The Spirit is the Key

Dear Friends, Family, and Well, Pretty much Anybody who might be reading this:

What a week! My first transfer has successfully been completed, and it is so amazing, and a bit werid, to think that I have been in Japan for as long as I have (a little more than six weeks). My, the time does go by, though where, I can't say I'm sure. As I mentioned, I have a new companion, and she is a sister I know well since she lived in the same apartment as me last transfer. As I also mentioned a bit in my last email, It is a bit scary to think that she has only six more weeks of Japanese experience than me, but I know God has put us together for a reason. If I spend all my time worrying about the language or how inexperienced we are, there will be less time to rely on the Lord, for fear always overshadows faith. I am excited and eager to continue the work here in Akashi! Like always, there is so much we can do to help the work move forward! 

Our companionship "theme" or "motto" for the next six weeks is this: The Spirit is the Key. The Spirit is the key to unlocking pretty much...well, everything! Without the promptings, we would be lost--eternally locked outside the door of God's everlasting knowledge. I wouldn't have a clue as to what I should do, especially now that I am in Japan serving a mission! The Holy Ghost is how we, as missionaries, are able to unlock the powers of heaven and access the guidance of God Himself. When we listen to the Spirit and it's promptings, we can receive revelation. When we act upon that revelation, that is when the work starts to move forward. Miracles happen. People come of know Christ. I become more than just me, I become a representative of the Lord. So remember, THE SPIRIT IS THE KEY.

We have already experienced an incident where this "motto" or phrase has become real to me. On the very first day of my new transfer, with my new companion, we felt like we should go visit the home of an investigator named L-san. We were hesitant.  L-san has been feeling rather smothered by the missionaries of late, and hasn't really wanted to see or meet with them. We didn't know how our visit would be accepted, but we felt we should bike over and leave a simple note in her mailbox inviting her to church and letting her know that we love her. 

The weather was extremely windy (it was blowing against us the whole time), and the bike ride to L-san's house usually took an hour and 15 minutes because it was all uphill. However, it only took us 45 minutes to bike there! I know that was not due to any strength of my own, because as big as my muscles might be getting from all this biking, I am still so very weak. What's even more amazing is that we got there just at the moment that L-san was leaving her apartment. We were able to give her the note and two big smiles. Some might say that all of that is coincidence...that L-san just happened to be going out at that time, and we just were lucky to get there faster than usual. I would like to argue against that way of thinking. Because we were open to the promptings of the Spirit, and because we acted upon them, the rest fell into place. We were strengthened, and we were able to see L-san. Once again, when we let the Spirit guide our steps, our lives will become much more than what we could ever make of them on our own. 

On my last day with my previous companion, something very...interesting...happened. We met with I-san, one of our investigators who has been struggling to understand who God is. We began the lesson and everything was going normally, until about five minutes into the lesson, I-san started to jerk her legs about. I thought at first that maybe she was feeling uncomfortable with something that we had said or taught her. But then, before we knew it, she fell off her chair and onto the floor! She was having some kind of spasm attack! 

My companion had enough presence of mind to run and grab our Zone Leader, who was in the next room over. With his help, we were able to call an ambulance for I-san. It was a very frightening experience; an experience that once again reminded me how helpless we truly are in the grand scheme of life. All we could do was pray and stroke I-san's arm to let her know that we were there and that everything was going to be all right. We rode with her to the hospital in the ambulance and stayed there until a member of her family could come. We found out later that I-san has epilepsy, and these episodes are normal for her. 

Those hours sitting in the hospital waiting room were brutal and frightening, filled with deep prayers of pleading to the Lord. I had no idea what was going on -- the people in the ambulance were talking in Japanese, and my companion wasn't very sure either. All I knew was that a daughter of God was in danger. It was such a humbling experience, one that I am not going to forget very quickly. I can still remember the ringing sounds of the ambulance in my ears; they never seemed to end as I sat staring at my semi-conscious investigator. I can still see the bump on her head and her neck in a brace. 

This experience, as frightening as it was, really made me realize how much love the Lord must feel for each one of us. I was so worried and heartbroken over I-san, and I barely know her. Just think how much God must worry over us, and love us, then. Although it was a horrible incident, I learned more about God's unending love for each of us, and the power that can come from praying. Prayer was the only way I was able to get through the day without breaking down into a mess of tears. God's power is available to all of us, in a variety of ways. Sometimes in ways we might not be expecting. And we can always access that power, as long as we have the faith to knock on the door of prayer.

With love from, 

Sister Weigl

No comments:

Post a Comment