Friday, July 12, 2013

Happy Late Fourth of July

A big hello to one and all!
Happy late Forth of July!

My Forth of July was most likely very different from any of yours. First off, I'm at the MTC and that is kind of in a world of its own. Plus, I am not able to go do fireworks with my family or attend a church barbecue, as you probably were. HOWEVER, I am not bitter. In fact, I would have to say my fourth here was most likely the best day I have had so far.

To start off, the 4th of July was the first day I've been sick here at the MTC. I know my mom is probably having a panic attack at this, so let me explain before she gets too worried. During the day, I just started to get really dizzy. I don't really know how to put it into words, but the best I can explain is that the room started spinning around and around like a pinwheel, and it just wouldn't stop. Every time I moved, I felt like I was going to throw-up. I kept hoping the dizziness would go away, but it didn't. Finally, my companion took me to the health center and they called a doctor for me. He gave me some nausea pills that tasted like candy and dissolved under my tongue. Most of what happened after that is a blur to me, and all I really remember  is waking up in bed at the Residence Halls feeling completely better. The dizziness came on fast, and left just as quickly.

Now, I know what you're thinking.... you're thinking, "I thought you said The 4th of July was the best day you had at the MTC so far! It sounds like you had a terrible day!" Well, first off, there is no such thing as a terrible day on my mission. Not to me. There may be harder days, but not terrible ones. No time spent serving my Lord and the Savior Jesus Christ can be considered terrible. The reason why I say it was my best day so far is that the Elders in my District offered to give me a Priesthood Blessing. (A Priesthood Blessing is basically a blessing from God to offer comfort, peace, guidance, or healing given by men who hold God's authority).

I was feeling better by that afternoon, so I initially told the willing Elders that I didn't think a blessing would be needed. They nodded their heads slowly, and the District Leader mentioned something about how most of the Elders there had never given a blessing before. They had never been given the opportunity. Throughout the rest of the afternoon, I kept thinking that I should talk to the District Leader again and ask for a blessing anyways. The words, "Give the Elders a chance to exercise their priesthood" kept coming into my head. So, at dinner I talked to the District Leader to ask if it was still alright to get one and right after we got back to the classroom, I was able to receive a blessing from some of the elders in my District. They put their hands upon my head and stood in a circle around me, and in that moment, I could feel God's power around me. When they placed their hands upon my head, when they worthily exercised God's power, I felt chills go up and down my body. I am so thankful for that experience because I was able to gain a greater testimony of the Priesthood. I know that the blessing those Elders gave me was from God and that it has a definite power. God has given His power to His worthy sons. Think about that for a second. Really think about that. Isn't it a immense demonstration of not only God's love, but also His trust?

So, after the blessing, all the missionaries at the MTC got out of class early. We went to building 19M (all the buildings here are called stuff like that....2M is where the Bookstore is, 3M is where I live, 9M is where my classroom is, etc.) to participate in a 4th of July celebratory program. There was a wonderful musical ensemble where a Sister and an Elder played a medley of patriotic hymns on the flute and on the piano. Music has become such a special thing to me, because I have so little access to it here. Besides the hymns that we sing ourselves, we only get to hear music when talented Elders and Sisters preform it at devotionals or at Church meetings on Sundays. So, this patriotic medley was an infinite blessing to one who has had limited access to the gift of music. After they finished preforming, there was a short speaker, and then we watched a church movie called, 17 Miracles, which chronicles some of the miracles experienced by the early Mormon Pioneers as they traveled across the country to Utah. That movie, so beautiful and inspiring, always makes me cry like a little baby. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it. The movie was a great treat for us missionaries, and for good reason! But the best treat of all, were the fireworks!

The MTC President provided ice-cream bars for all the missionaries at the MTC, which is easily over 3,000 people. We all crowded the lawn outside of 19M, where we were able to witness the fireworks that were being set off in the BYU Stadium, I assume. They were some of the most beautiful fireworks I have ever seen! They had ones that exploded into the shape of hearts and ones that reminded me of Saturn's rings. All the Sisters in my district dressed up in red, white, and blue (except for my companion, since she's from Peru and one other Elder who's Canadian).

Due to the fireworks, the MTC President allowed all of us to go to bed at a later hour than normal, which is a pretty big deal. We're supposed to be in bed at 10:30pm EXACTLY every SINGLE night, so the fact that we were able to stay out late is a very, very big exception to the rule.

All in all, I am loving it here. I am feeling great and love serving the Lord. Thanks to all who have sent letters and emails, they mean so much to me!

From the ever grateful,
Sister Weigl

P.S. - I tried to attach some pictures, but it won't let me, so be expecting A WHOLE BUNCH next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment