Monday, June 17, 2013

Called to Serve Him

I had been expecting my mission call to come on a Wednesday, but it didn't actually come until that Friday. I knew I was going to be anxious and impatient waiting for it to come, but it was even worse than I imagined! Anyone who has received a mission call can probably understand my impatience. When it finally arrived, I had a whole bunch of people over in my dorm's lobby. It felt like the whole stake was there! Emily Goehring, Molly, Katie, Kallina, Leo, Ariana, Brad...it was almost like being at home! I've got to say, that the experience was even more special because I had everyone there to support me! My mom and dad were on skype (which is somewhat of a miracle, since they don't have any clue how to use technology), Sydney skyped in as well on my iPad. Even the entire Johnson family was there too, on my roommate's laptop! Amanda, Andy, and my grandparents were on three different cell phones. I loved the immense show of support and was really touched!  


Opening My Mission Call at BYU
Friday, 15 February 2013
(She's saying, "Kobe, Japan")
I spent the hour or so before opening my call reading my scriptures and watching the First Vision video on youtube. I wanted it to be a special experience. But most of all, I wanted to have a spiritual confirmation that where I was called was the place I was supposed to go. I REALLY wanted to go to Japan, and if I was called somewhere else, I wanted to make sure that I would be okay with that. A few days earlier, I stumbled upon this scripture:  "Wherefore, go ye and preach my gospel, whether to the north or to the south, to the east or to the west, it mattereth not, for ye cannot go amiss"  (D&C 80:3).  That was exactly what I needed to hear! It's not so much about the place, as it is about serving! When I began opening my call, my heart was pounding so hard. My hands were shaking. And as soon as I read that I was going to Japan, I started crying. I just felt this wash of emotion. Not only because that was where I wanted to go, but because I KNEW IT WAS RIGHT. I can't really explain it properly with words. 


Almost in Tears to be going to Japan

I am so excited to be a missionary. It has been a long term goal of mine. In fact, I have always known I was going to serve a mission. It has felt right for such a long time, that when the announcement came, I didn't have to even think about it. I love the Lord, and I love this Church. I testify of its truthfulness. To those of you who might be confused about why I would put my personal life on hold for 18 months (school, friends, family, and of course, boys haha), the only answer I can give you is this: I know this Church is true. It is my strength and compass. I know with all my heart that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and that He died so that I might return to Him someday.  I love this gospel and my Father in Heaven with all my heart, and I want to share this beautiful knowledge with the people of Kobe. 

Of these things I testify, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.



Video of me opening my mission call (click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment